Thursday, January 3, 2019

First #52Ancestors

The first cemetery I visited for genealogical purposes was in September 1986. It was the Crispin Cemetery in Centerfield, Madison Township, Highland County, Ohio.

I had purchased the book Cemetery Inscriptions of Highland County, Ohio by David N. and Jane N. McBride, and found Campbells listed in that cemetery. I was hoping to find gravestones for my 2nd great-grandparents Samuel M. and Sarah Ann Roberts Campbell.

My sister Holly was with me and she was a little nervous about visiting the cemetery as the description stated it was located on Rattlesnake Creek. She said there must have been a reason to give the creek that name. She walked around the cemetery with a large umbrella in case she encountered some slithering creatures.

I found some Campbells there, but there were no stones for my Samuel and Sarah. After many visits and a number of years later, their stone surfaced. It must have been buried under several inches of soil. Unfortunately the years of death are incorrect for both of them (they both died in 1901).

This has become my favorite Ohio cemetery and one of my projects is writing a book about it and those buried in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment