Monday, January 28, 2019

At the Library #52Ancestors


One of the earliest of my genealogical treasures I discovered at the Clark County Public Library in Springfield, Ohio. It was my dad’s high school yearbook for his senior year.

The Wildcat, 1946, was the annual of Springfield High School.  Not only was I able to see my dad’s senior picture, I discovered his extracurricular activities.  He was listed as college prep. He was part of the Boys’ Council his senior year. He was involved with the Boosters’ in his junior and senior years as well as bowling.  In his sophomore year, he participated in the industrial club and baseball.

These activities make sense.  He attended Ohio State for a short period before joining the Marines (I need to do some research on his college days). My dad’s first job at the age of 14 was that of a pinsetter at the local bowling alley.  He was part of various bowling teams as an adult.  He must have liked what he learned in the industrial club as he was co-owner of a lumber yard with his brother-in-law at one point in his life.

I have also discovered photos and information about other family members in yearbooks.  If you have relatives that graduated from a high school in Ohio, you may want to check with the Ohio Genealogical Society as they have a very large yearbook collection.




No comments:

Post a Comment